Friday, May 17, 2013

Grinning = Winning

From the department of lazy, hacky cartooning, we have today's JOHNSON FOLLIES.


Tracing the emotional arc of this cartoon is an exercise in vertiginous bafflement. First we have Mark filled with white-hot rage, letting the expletives fly, and calling on all the neighborhood to capture a thief/dog. By the end, however, he stands calmly, anger blissfully dissipated and eyes bent heavenward. All it took, apparently, was some grinning. If only we could solve all the problems in the Middle East with some grinning.

And speaking of emotional arc, this leads to a story about MOM. She needed to get her washing machine fixed, and I came and sat with her while the repairman clanked around in the laundry room.

"I'm sure that's the next thing that will go," Mom said funereally.

"What?"

"The washer." Mom sighed and hung her head. "I never get to have anything nice. Every appliance in this house is broken, or on the verge of breaking. It just makes me so tired, Chris. I mean, Mark. I mean, Greg."

"Grandma, I mean, Auntie, I mean, Mom, don't worry, I'm sure he'll fix it just fine. Hey, maybe you can use your dishwasher now to actually wash dishes. Hmm?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, you keep cans of dog and cat food in the dishwasher rack. Wouldn't it be better to use the dishwasher to, I don't know, wash dishes in? Just saying."

"Don't be an ass. You know that dishwasher doesn't work."

"Yes, because there are cans of dog food in it!"

"And just where would I put the cans of dog food, smart guy?"

"I don't know." I shrugged. "In the washing machine? It's not working now, anyway..."

Mom burst into hysterical tears. LOL.

So we come full circle: a dog fed by a crazy lady will perforce be kinda crazy. And grin-y.

NEXT WEEK: Snoopy threatens litigation.

No comments:

Post a Comment